5.03.2008

New Format: All Tom Rush, All the Time

Not really though. I've been pretty busy, but I am trying to force posts to the extent possible anyway. This one again has no mp3s, I promise more will come. I previously posted on Tom Rush here, but this is a more extensive examination of his covers via YouTube videos.

First up: "Urge for Going," a Joni Mitchell cover. Much as I love Joni, this version is really the ultimate, as far as I'm concerned. I've always felt that her version has a little too much pep for what is a deeply sad and dark song. The appended version is from a live performance in Massachusetts last fall.



Next: a much younger, hippier Rush, from the Festival Express DVD, doing "Child's Song", written by Canadian songwriter Murray McLaughlin. Also excellent.



Finally, Tom Rush, Emmylou Harris and David Bromberg covering Townes Van Zandt's classic "Pancho and Lefty" from a show in 1983.

No comments: